Geosyntec Consultants is a global leader in the assessment and remediation of soil and groundwater impacted by a broad range of contaminants.
Our creative, dynamic engineers and scientists design and implement award-winning, technology-based remediation strategies for public and private sector clients throughout the Americas, Europe, Southeast Asia, and Australia. Our practitioners also develop comprehensive guidance on the effective management of contaminated groundwater for use by regulatory agencies in the United States and Europe addressing environmental impacts within their communities.
Geosyntec practitioners work closely with clients to fully understand their specific challenges and desired outcomes as we design and implement remediation solutions. We also guide client projects successfully through complex regulatory environments.
We continue to lead the industry with first-to-field demonstrations of new solutions based on applied research. Clients turn to Geosyntec to develop precise characterization and diagnostic tools that improve their ability to achieve site-specific remedial action objectives within a reasonable time frame using cost-effective solutions.
We are experienced in the assessment and remediation of a broad suite of contaminants, including metals, chlorinated organic chemicals, petroleum hydrocarbons, and emerging contaminants. A hallmark of our service is efficient site characterization, even at sites that exhibit complex groundwater flow regimes. Many of our hydrogeologists specialize in modeling the fate and transport of contaminants through the most difficult types of media, including fractured and karst bedrock.
Once a site has been characterized, we are adept at applying ex situ and in situ remedial technologies, long-term monitoring, and other site management strategies. While we are also highly experienced in conventional technologies, we are practice leaders in the application of in situ remedial technologies, including:
- Bioremediation and bioaugmentation
- Chemical oxidation
- Chemical reduction
- Thermal remediation
State of the Practice
Geosyntec continues to partner with leading academic institutions in the development of next-generation characterization and treatment technologies. Among the technologies currently in development, testing, or analysis by Geosyntec and its subsidiaries are:
- Electrokinetic enhanced amendment delivery, an innovative approach that uses electrokinetic mechanisms to promote migration of electron donors, electron acceptors, and bacteria for in situ bioremediation (EK-bio) or oxidants for in situ chemical oxidation (EK-ISCO);
- Self-sustaining Treatment for Active Remediation (STAR), a smoldering combustion technology for the efficient destruction of hydrocarbons such as coal tars and oils using either an ex situ or in situ application;
- Zero-valent metal formulations to treat recalcitrant compounds (e.g., polychlorinated biphenyls, 1,2,3-trichloropropane);
- New microbial consortiums capable of degrading compounds such as carbon tetrachloride and 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethene (TeCA);
- Sustainable, low carbon footprint pump-and-treat systems, using solar power to operate the systems;
- and 3-D visualization software applications that aid in the assessment of dense non-aqueous phase liquids and other groundwater impacts.
Among the agencies and industry colleagues using technology guidance developed by Geosyntec practitioners are the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency; the Danish Environmental Protection Agency; the U.S. Department of Defense; the National Research Council; the Electric Power Research Institute; the American Petroleum Institute; and the Interstate Technology and Regulatory Council.