Geosyntec Senior Consultant Michael Harding has been elected to chair the International Regional Council of the International Erosion Control Association (IECA).
Founded in 1972, the IECA is a non-profit organization that serves as the premier global resource for the prevention and control of erosion and sediment. The organization provides education, resource information, and business opportunities for 2,500 professional members representing more than 40 countries and 17 fields of practice.
The IECA was recently restructured and now includes two regions and a "head organization" called the International Regional Council (IRC). Each region will take on duties of overseeing operations and delivery of services to that region. The IRC is charged with oversight of international issues that may come before the organization.
At a recent meeting of the IECA Board of Directors, Mike was elected to represent Region One, comprised of North and South America and Europe. On June 25, he was elected chairman of the IRC. In this new role, some of Mike's duties will include:
- Oversight of the entire IECA organization<
- Review and modification of the existing IECA constitution as necessary
- Review and development of by-laws acceptable to both regions
- Engage in an official capacity in all association business, functions, and correspondence
- Represent and speak for the association as a whole
- Oversee the SOIL Fund Committee
Mike is based in Geosyntec's San Diego - Old Town office and is three times past president of the IECA. He has been actively involved in the organization for many years, serving in numerous leadership capacities since 1986. The annual conference of the IECA will be in San Diego from February 10-13, 2013.