Rudy Bonaparte, Ph.D., P.E., NAE, F.ASCE (Georgia) will be honored with the Lifetime Achievement in Engineering Award from the Georgia Society of Professional Engineers for 2019. The award honors licensed engineers who have made a lifetime of outstanding contributions to the engineering profession, the public welfare, and humankind.
An active engineering practitioner and Board Chairman at Geosyntec, Rudy previously served as President and CEO for 20 years, leading the firm from a handful of professionals to more than 1,200 employees in more than 80 offices. In addition to working full time at Geosyntec, Rudy also finds time to serve as a Professor of the Practice in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
The Lifetime Achievement in Engineering Award will be given for Rudy's ongoing contributions to continuously advancing the practice of engineering. During the past five years, his continuing education and technical development activities have included more than a dozen papers and publications, his professional and technical society activities have included participation in six important committees and councils, and he has delivered invited lectures at six ASCE Section meetings at major universities.
Rudy's technical excellence and commitment to advancing the profession has been recognized consistently during his career, with awards including:
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Terzaghi Lecture Award (2018)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, OPAL Lifetime Achievement Award in Design (2016)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Fellow (2015)
- University of California, Berkeley – CEE Academy of Distinguished Alumni, Charter Member (2012)
- Academy of Geo-Professionals (ASCE) – Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering, by Invitation (2009)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers – Board Certification, by Eminence (2008)
- National Academy of Engineering – Elected to Membership (2007)
- Georgia Engineering Alliance – Grand Project Award (2007)
- University of Texas at Austin – CAEE Academy of Distinguished Alumni (2006)
- Georgia Engineering Alliance – Georgia Engineer of the Year (2004)
- American Society of Civil Engineers – James R. Croes Medal (2000)
- International Geosynthetics Society – IGS Award (1994)
- North American Geosynthetics Society – Award of Excellence (1991)
- National Science Foundation – Graduate Research Fellow (1977-1980)
- Outstanding Graduate Award – College of Engineering, University of Texas at Austin (1977)
The Georgia Society of Professional Engineers (GSPE) coordinates the Engineer of the Year awards, which are judged by the Engineering Council of Birmingham. This acknowledgement of engineers is made possible by Georgia engineering organizations joining together to honor individuals in the Georgia engineering community.
The Engineer of the Year award winners will be honored at the Georgia Engineering Awards on Saturday, February 23, 2019 in Atlanta.
Learn about the awards at the Georgia Society of Professional Engineers.
Learn about Rudy: https://www.geosyntec.com/people/rudolph-bonaparte