Geosyntec Consultants is pleased to invite submittals to our 2nd Annual University of Alabama Outstanding Research Competition.
This contest is intended to recognize and reward students performing cutting-edge research related to the assessment and treatment of chemical contaminants in soil and groundwater.
We are interested in hearing from graduate students studying hydrogeology, geochemistry, environmental science, or other relevant scientific disciplines, who are seeking an opportunity to showcase their research to an audience of senior environmental practitioners at Geosyntec.
The competition is open to Masters and Doctoral students at the University of Alabama who are currently enrolled in the Geological Sciences Department. Students are required to submit up to a five-page summary of their graduate research as a white paper, written entirely by him/herself. Contents of the white paper should include:
- Concept, content and methodology of graduate research efforts
- Purpose and motive for pursuing graduate research topic
- Applicability of student’s research to the field of environmental assessment and soil and/or groundwater contaminant remediation.
- All submissions must contain a cover page that lists the following information:
- Title of submission
- Full name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Degree currently being pursued, university, academic program, and research advisor(s)
- Prior degree(s) and university(ies) attended
- Submittals will be in the form of a white paper. The paper shall not exceed five pages, including text, tables, figures, and references, but excluding the cover page listed above:
- The submission shall be written in English and typed in Times New Roman 12 font (except symbols where appropriate) with single line spacing.
- The top, bottom and sides of each page shall have 1.5-inch margins.
- The submitted white paper shall have a title that is shown in bold at the top of the first page of the paper.
- All figures and tables shall be numbered consecutively and have captions.
- Each page shall have a footer containing the author’s name, title of the paper and a page number. Page numbering should begin on the first page of the white paper after the cover page.
Judging and Awards
A committee of senior Geosyntec environmental practitioners will judge the submissions. Judging will be based on numerous criteria with a focus on clarity of presentation and novelty of research.
Two outstanding students will be awarded a $2,500 grant to assist with funding their thesis or dissertation research, with $500 from each award allotted to the recipient's Research Program in the UA Department of Geological Sciences.