This paper presents an inelastic element for the analysis of beams resting on two-parameter foundations. The element is derived from a two field mixed formulation with independent approximation of forces and displacements.
The values for the two parameters of the foundation are derived through an iterative technique that is based on an assumption of plane strain for the soil medium.This iterative behavior is repeated at each time step of the nonlinear solution algorithm.The nonlinear response of structures resting on this improved two-parameter foundation model is analyzed following both a Vlasov and a Pasternak approach. Numerical examples that clarify the advantage of the newly developed model are conducted. These studies confirmed the importance of accounting for the foundation second parameter, and the efficiency and accuracy of the proposed model.
- Geosyntec Authors: Ravi Mullapudi
- All Authors: Ashraf Ayoub, Ravi Mullapudi
- Title: Nonlinear Finite Element Modeling of Beams on Two-Parameter Foundations
- Event or Publication: Computers and Geotechnics
- Practice Areas: Geotechnical Engineering
- Date: 2009
- Type: Publication (Printed)