Kavazanjian, Edward Jr., Neven Matasovic, Tarik Hadj-Hamou, and Paul J. Sabatini, "Design Guidance: Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering for Highways, "Geotechnical Engineering Circular No. 3, DTFH61-94-C-00099, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C. 1997.
This document presents a series of five design examples illustrating the principles and methods of geotechnical earthquake engineering and seismic design for hightway facilities. These principles and methods are described in a companion volume entitled "Geotechnical Engineering Circular No. 3, Design Guidance: Geotechnical Earthquake engineering for highways, Volume I - Design Principles." The examples presented in this volume cover a wide range of problems encountered in geotechnical earthquake engineering practice. The design examples presented in this document include:
- seismic design of a shallow bridge foundation
- seismic design of a driven pile bridge foundation
- seismic design of a gravity retaining wall based on results of a detailed seismic hazard analysis
- seismic slope stability analysis of a cut slope in soft rock and
- liquefaction potential analysis.