Low impact development (LID) strategies are being encouraged in many communities as an approach to reduce potential adverse impacts of development on receiving streams.
Many questions exist regarding how well various LID strategies perform in different settings, just as similar questions have been raised regarding performance of traditional stormwater best management practices (BMPs). Whereas historical focus on BMP performance has been water quality concentrations or loads, characterization of volume reduction benefits for both conventional and LID practices is increasingly an objective of researchers and stormwater managers. More than a decade ago, Urban Water Resources Research Council (UWRRC) members worked to develop a set of standardized monitoring and reporting protocols for traditional BMPs and to establish a master database for the purpose of evaluating BMP performance and the factors affecting performance. This effort culminated in the International Stormwater BMP Database (www.bmpdatabase.org), which contains data for more than 360 BMPs and continues to operate as a clearinghouse for stormwater BMP data and performance analyses. During 2008–2009, the International Stormwater BMP Database project expanded to better integrate LID into the database and develop a set of metrics that can be used to characterize BMP performance with regard to surface runoff volume reduction. This paper provides a condensed overview and progress report on the LID-focused effort, including the following topics: (1) monitoring guidance for LID at the overall site development level, (2) an overview of recent changes to the International Stormwater BMP Database to better accommodate LID studies, (3) a summary of LID studies currently included in the database, and (4) a proposed approach for evaluating performance of LID studies with regard to reducing surface runoff volumes.
Read More: http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000182
- Geosyntec Authors: Marcus Quigley, Aaron Poresky, Eric Strecker, Marc Leisenring
- All Authors: Marcus Quigley , Aaron Poresky , Eric Strecker , Marc Leisenring , Jane Clary, Jonathan Jones, Andrew Earles
- Title: Integration of Low Impact Development into the International Stormwater BMP Database
- Event or Publication: Journal of Irrigation
- Practice Areas: Environmental Management Assessment and Systems, Watershed and Stormwater Management
- Citation: Vol. 137, No. 3. March
- Date: 2011
- Type: Publication (Printed)