Assessment of geotechnical performance of rockfill dams during construction and operation is a critical step in design of these large infrastructures. Excessive deformations and sudden changes in pore water pressure and stress distribution may adversely impact the structural integrity of rockfill dams.
This paper presents the geotechnical monitoring data for a case study at Gavoshan rockfill dam in Iran at multiple stages of construction, initial impounding, and operation. This assessment included monitoring the geotechnical parameters associated with settlement of embankment as well as stress distribution of the clay core due to arching effect. Geotechnical instrumentation data collected during construction and impounding were installed to measure these parameters and were used to calibrate the numerical models in order to confirm the design parameters and assess the long-term performance of the dam.
- Geosyntec Authors: Mohammad Rashidi, Ali Ebrahimi
- All Authors: Mohammad Rashidi, Ali Ebrahimi
- Title: United States Society on Dams (USSD) 2022 Annual Conference
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Dams; Dam Safety
- Citation: United States Society on Dams (USSD) 2022 Annual Conference and Exhibition at the Town and Country Resort in San Diego, California on April 11 through 14, 2022.
- Date: Wednesday, April 13 at 10:50 a.m. PDT
- Location: San Diego, California
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation