NOTE: This topic / abstract is intended to be presented in two separate presentations; one focusing on the landslide identification and causation, and the other on mitigation design and construction. The first presentation (identification and causation) would be given by the Co-Author [see accepted abstract 8-TS12 Johnson for Technical Session #12], and the other (mitigation design and construction, described below) given by the Author.
Mitigations Design and Construction Presentation: Geosyntec developed the mitigation design and provided construction management and oversight services during construction of the Parkway Drive Landslide mitigation. This presentation will discuss the mitigation design, which included an engineered fill buttress at the toe of the slide, sub-horizontal drains within the slide mass and underlying formational materials to lower the phreatic surface and control active seeps, surface water conveyance features, and tie-ins to existing stormwater infrastructure. It will also discuss the construction phase of the work and some of the associated challenges such as coordination with multiple property owners, working in a residential neighborhood, unknown utilities, and limited access for the construction work.
- Geosyntec Authors: Jay Griffin, Ron Johnson
- All Authors: Jay Griffin, Ron Johnson
- Title: 65th Annual Meeting of the Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists (AEG)
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Contaminated Site Assessment and Cleanup, Environmental Planning and Management, Water and Natural Resources
- Citation: Title: Parkway Drive Landslide, Evaluation and Remediation, and Risks with the Expanding Urban Interface Part 2 Presenter: Jay Griffin, P.E., Sr. Engineer Date/Time: Thursday, September 15, 4:20–4:40 p.m. PDT
- Date: September 12 through 17, 2022
- Location: Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Resort and Casino
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation