Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) have drawn a significant amount of recent regulatory attention and scrutiny, as certain PFAS have been documented to result in adverse human health and ecological effects.
These PFAS are found throughout the current environment and are also present within a variety of commonly used household and retail goods. Although the hazard has been identified, further assessment efforts are necessary to investigate potential soil and groundwater contamination present at current or historical sites that utilized or disposed of PFAS containing products.
Standards and guidance issued by federal and state agencies are constantly evolving and new analytical methods are being developed to analyze for the large group of existing and emerging PFAS compounds. With current detection limits now applicable to soil and groundwater at the sub-nanogram per liter (ng/L) concentration, diligent management and field planning is necessary to ensure that assessment activities are able to provide accurate results while limiting potential sampling bias and unnecessary costs and efforts.
Geosyntec has completed PFAS investigation and sampling at one site in Nevada, along with various locations throughout the United States. This presentation will summarize the evolving status of site investigation techniques (decontamination process for drilling, various groundwater sampling techniques pros and cons, and potential sampling biases to consider), analytical methods, and lessons learned (importance of identification of "clean water source" and schedule considerations for sampling set-up and decontamination) from completed assessment projects for planning purposes.
- Geosyntec Authors: Adam Katlein
- All Authors: Adam Katlein
- Title: 65th Annual Meeting of the Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists (AEG)
- Event or Publication: Event
- Practice Areas: Contaminated Site Assessment and Cleanup, Environmental Planning and Management, Water and Natural Resources
- Citation: Title: Per- and Poly-fluoroalkyl Substance (PFAS) Site Investigation and Management Planning Strategies Presenter: Adam Katlein, C.E.M, Project Scientist Date/Time: Thursday, September 15, 3:20–3:40 p.m. PDT
- Date: September 12 through 17, 2022
- Location: Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Resort and Casino
- Publication Type: Platform Presentation