Our environment has been experiencing changes in climate patterns in ways that were not anticipated by the designers of our coastal and upland surface-water water management systems.
Annual rainfall amounts may remain about the same. But instead of falling over long period, it may fall in a shorter period, drastically increasing the likelihood of flooding and altering the performance of existing drainage systems. Meanwhile, other areas are experiencing drought conditions for the first time in modern history.
Upward trends in sea levels, coupled with "king" tides, are causing regular nuisance flooding in many coastal communities. Small increases in sea level can result in large impacts.
Larger, more powerful tropical storms make landfall with greater windspeeds, and storm surges, which overtop seawalls and coastal protections, leaving wide and long trails of destruction.
The resiliency of businesses, cities, institutions, and our infrastructure depends upon a cycle of risk assessment and planning, identification and implementation of adaptative solutions, and evaluation and monitoring during adverse conditions.
How Geosyntec Can Help
Our changing global climate, changing rainfall distribution and intensity, rising sea levels, and growing coastal populations require creative, innovative, and practical solutions. Geosyntec brings a team of professionals together to assist our clients will all areas needed for successful resilience and adaptation. Coupling a broad range of disciplines and skill sets with practical real-world experience leads to successfully preparing clients for long term success that is aligned with their goals and objectives. This may range from comprehensive studies of coastal flooding risks and design solutions, to county-wide flood mapping, to cloud based predictive and adaptive stormwater management applications, to backflow prevention strategies for stormwater sewers, to risk assessments of individual facilities, processes, or communities.
We provide services to mitigate your risks and improve your resiliency through:
- Assessment and Planning
- Adaptive Design Solutions
- Evaluation and Monitoring
Utilizing our expertise in coastal, hydraulic, hydrologic, structural, and geotechnical engineering, as well as water resources management and ecology, Geosyntec assists our clients in addressing the challenges associated with climate change and sea level rise. Geosyntec's Resilience and Adaptation Practice has recently:
- Begun updating Broward County's flood maps to reflect current coastal and climate conditions
- Applied cloud-based technology for innovative stormwater management during recent hurricanes in Florida
- Brought innovative flood-proofing technologies to small businesses in New York City
- Developed Sea Level Rise guidance for a large industrial complex in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Created tools for Massachusetts Bays Nation Estuary Program to manage tide gates both currently and for anticipated climate change impacts
- Assisted a California municipality in obtaining grant funding and conducted vulnerability assessments of their storm and wastewater systems
- Modeled 1,000-year flood events for nuclear power plant risk management programs in the United States
- Developed resiliency measures to address tidal impacts to stormwater infrastructure from extreme weather events for a coastal Florida municipality
- Developed shore protection with marsh creation as part of an island-based oil and gas marine facility