Jeffrey Ahrens is a Principal Environmental Engineer based in North Carolina with more than 15 years of experience focused on environmental assessments; remedial system design and optimization; assessment and mitigation of the vapor intrusion pathway; environmental due diligence and liability valuation; and regulatory compliance.
Career Summary of Jeffrey Ahrens, P.E.
- Specialties: Site Investigation and Remediation; Groundwater Assessment and Remediation; Vapor Intrusion; Brownfields Redevelopment Planning and Design; Environmental Management Assessment and Systems
- Practice Areas: Contaminated Site Assessment and Cleanup, Environmental Management
- Disciplines: Earth Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Biotechnology
- Education: M.S., Environmental Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 2003; B.S., Integrated Science and Technology: Biotechnology and Environmental Science, James Madison University, 2001
- Registration: North Carolina Professional Engineer, 039319; South Carolina Professional Engineer, 30073; Florida Professional Engineer, 72597; Michigan Professional Engineer, 6201056024; West Virginia Licensed Remediation Specialist, 261.
- Filter Text People: Jeffrey Ahrens is a Principal Environmental Engineer based in North Carolina with more than 15 years of experience focused on environmental assessments; remedial system design and optimization; assessment and mitigation of the vapor intrusion pathway; environmental due diligence and liability valuation; and regulatory compliance. Among Jeff's key strengths is his broad experience helping clients manage investigations and corrective actions at complex sites contaminated by chlorinated solvents, petroleum hydrocarbons, and inorganic compounds. He has notable experience assisting clients with challenging contaminants such as 1,4-dioxane, and has addressed these at sites regulated under various RCRA, CERCLA, state-led, and voluntary cleanup programs. His practice also includes developing multi-party solutions with stakeholders in the private sector, legal, governmental, and regulatory arenas. Jeff advances the state of the practice with the development, feasibility evaluation, and application of innovative remedial technologies. Remedial systems designed or implemented under his direction include soil mixing with steam and zero-valent iron amendments, excavation, bioaugmentation, in situ chemical oxidation, in situ stabilization/solidification, phytoremediation, pump and treat with advanced oxidation reactor systems, multiphase extraction, air sparging, soil vapor extraction, and monitored natural attenuation. Complementary to his experience with environmental assessment and remedial activities, Jeff performs environmental due diligence and environmental liability valuations for multi-national industrial clients in support of commercial property transactions, brownfields redevelopment and global liability portfolio management. He also has significant experience evaluating the vapor intrusion pathway of methane and organic vapors in the subsurface, and the design of both passive and active vapor intrusion mitigation systems (pre-construction and retrofitting) to protect human health within buildings and structures.