Jimmy Whitmer is a Senior Principal Geologist and Hydrogeologist based in Georgia with more than 30 years of experience directing multidisciplinary projects focused on water supply development, site characterizations for waste containment facilities, environmental soil and groundwater assessment, and remedial process optimization at industrial and federal facilities.
Career Summary of Jimmy Whitmer, P.G., CHMM
- Filter Text People: Jimmy Whitmer is a Senior Principal Geologist and Hydrogeologist based in Georgia with more than 30 years of experience directing multidisciplinary projects focused on water supply development, site characterizations for waste containment facilities, environmental soil and groundwater assessment, and remedial process optimization at industrial and federal facilities. Jimmy guides clients through the development of technical and regulatory strategies for solid waste permit applications and the preparation and implementation of numerous types of corrective action work plans. He consults on projects regulated under a number of frameworks, including the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA); the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); and state-sponsored programs. On multiple occasions, Jimmy has successfully advocated for the development of risk-based corrective action endpoints with state and federal regulators and employed groundwater and fate and transport modeling to achieve monitored natural attenuation remedial solutions. His experience covers a broad range of geologic and hydrogeologic projects, including analysis of groundwater data and hydrogeologic conditions for site suitability assessments and RCRA closures. He also provides hydrogeologic modeling, groundwater geochemistry studies, and groundwater remedial alternatives evaluations. With specialized experience in the design and installation oversight of numerous directionally drilled wells and angled or slant borings, Jimmy also has developed innovative horizontal well rehabilitation methods that are both technically successful and cost effective. These and other designs have been used in groundwater recovery, dense non-aqueous phase liquid (DNAPL) recovery, groundwater monitoring, air sparging, and soil vapor extraction. Additionally, Jimmy provides specialized consulting services at the U.S. Air Force's Robins Air Force Base (Robins AFB), the largest industrial complex in Georgia. His role at Robins AFB is not only technical but also programmatic, as he assists the leadership of the base's environmental program in their efforts to achieve the Air Force's environmental mission. Since 2005, Jimmy has been a technical contributor and project manager on multiple assignments at the installation. These services have included: water supply development, water quality assessments, water production well design and installation, water conservation, groundwater modeling, site assessments, remedial investigations, feasibility studies, remedial designs, corrective actions, long-term monitoring, and support for community relations efforts.
- Specialties: Site Investigation and Remediation; Groundwater Assessment and Remediation; Environmental Management Assessment and Systems; Surface Water and Groundwater Supply Studies and Development; Design and Installation of Directionally Drilled (Horizontal) Wells
- Practice Areas: Contaminated Site Assessment and Cleanup, Water and Natural Resources
- Disciplines: Earth Sciences
- Education: B.S., Geology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Registration: Alabama, Professional Geologist, 682; Georgia, Professional Geologist, RG1302; Kentucky, Professional Geologist, 2287; North Carolina, Professional Geologist, 1826; South Carolina, Professional Geologist, 2253; Tennessee, Professional Geologist, 4697; Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, 8069