John Barrett is a Principal Engineer based in Tennessee with more than 12 years of experience supporting the dams and renewable energy markets. His primary service areas include geotechnical design, construction, and management of dam safety and dam engineering projects. John serves as a key contributor to the firm’s geotechnical and geostructural practice areas. His experience includes construction oversight during the remediation of multiple high-hazard dam projects, evaluation of the stress-strain behavior of concrete and earthen dams, detailed design for new dams and the retrofit of existing dams, including technical specifications, engineering drawings, and construction plans.
John is an active member of the Deep Foundations Institute (DFI) and the Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and has collaborated with committees of the United States Society on Dams (USSD) and the Association of State Dam Safety Officials (ASDSO). He serves as a Technical Reviewer for the Canadian Geotechnical Journal, has published in the Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, as well as presented at multiple technical conferences, including the International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics (ISFOG), the International Commission of Large Dams (ICOLD), and USSD. He currently serves as an active committee member for the Foundations and the Dam Safety Committee of USSD.
Career Summary of John Barrett, P.E.
- Specialties: Dams Engineering; Geotechnical Infrastructure and Foundation Engineering; Earth Retaining Structures and Excavation Support; Slope stability and slope stabilization; Geologic characterization
- Practice Areas: Water and Natural Resources, Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Disciplines: Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering
- Education: M.S., Geotechnical Engineering, University College Dublin, Ireland, 2016; M.C., Geotechnics, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2013; B.S., Magna Cum Laude, Civil Engineering, Florida State University, 2009
- Registration: Tennessee Professional Engineer, 00116586; Georgia Professional Engineer PE044253; North Carolina Professional Engineer 049362