Len de Vlaming is a Principal Engineer based in Ontario with more than 20 years of experience in chemical process design, water treatment design and capital project delivery.
Len has worked extensively in the chemical industry, mining and food/beverage sectors. His expertise covers the spectrum of unit operations and process equipment, in addition to project delivery services including specification authoring, construction and procurement contract development, and contract tendering and award management. His role often includes overseeing project controls such as budget and cashflow management, maintaining critical path schedules, and alternative delivery methods for large design-build projects. HAZOP and FMEA assessments and process safety pre-start and audit / forensic reviews have also been a successful element of Len’s career, leveraging his extensive previous experience working in complex chemical production facilities.
At the forefront of a number of first-to-field remediation technology deployments, Len is an experienced planner in the implementation of new technologies, particularly in challenging or remote environments; for these talents he shared the Superior Achievement Award for Excellence in Environmental Engineering and Science in 2017. Len is also experienced as an Owner’s Agent in capital project deployment, partnering with clients to ensure optimal project outcomes through monitoring execution quality and compliance with design intent. This experience extends to at-risk contract management engagements where Geosyntec has acted essentially as a general contractor for the client, addressing all elements of equipment and labor procurement, onsite coordination, project quality assurance, commissioning and turnover. Technology selection and design approach can be platform-agnostic and scaled to meet the needs and expectations ranging from small independent operators to major multinational industrial concerns.
Career Summary of Len de Vlaming, P.Eng.
- Specialties: Industrial wastewater design and troubleshooting; Industrial process value engineering and debottlenecking; Capital project delivery management; Procurement and Contracting
- Practice Areas: Contaminated Site Assessment and Cleanup, Environmental Management, Air Quality Management and Air Pollution Control, Civil Infrastructure, Environmental, Social, and Governance
- Disciplines: Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering
- Education: M.A.Sc., Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, 1997; B.Sc., Chemical Engineering, 1995
- Registration: Ontario Professional Engineer, License No. 100127554, 2008; Saskatchewan Professional Engineer, License No. 46630, 2019; British Columbia Professional Engineer, License No. 48859, 2019