Victor Damasceno is a Senior Principal Engineer based in North Carolina with more than 12 years of professional experience focused on geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering related to solid waste containment facility design and permitting, civil design and closure management related to dredged materials, and coal combustion residuals (CCR) impoundments.
With a background in the application of geotechnical and geophysical techniques to evaluate and monitor chemical and physical processes in soils, Victor has conducted extensive research in chemical diffusion and soil stabilization monitoring techniques involving electrical properties of soils. His focus has been on geotechnical site suitability assessment, karst evaluation through geophysical techniques, data evaluation, solid waste containment facility design and permitting, technical oversight for various CCR basin closure and disposal facilities, and dredged material management strategies including disposal and reuse as structural fill. Victor has also written several algorithms to evaluate strength gain of subsurface soils using time-dependent cone penetration test (CPT) data and cross-correlation techniques to facilitate engineering analyses for dam design on soft soils.
As a consultant, Victor has been responsible for program management for CCR-related projects along with project management and technical oversight of engineering projects such as CCR basin closures, CCR landfill design and permitting, dam hazard determination, dam safety evaluation, and excavation plans.
Victor has authored or co-authored more than 15 publications on geotechnical and geophysical engineering, electrokinetic phenomena, and highway design. Among these is his doctoral dissertation on the use of electrical resistivity tomography to evaluate processes in soils. This included designing and building two- and three-dimensional electrical resistivity testing cells with embedded bender elements to monitor and evaluate reduction in soil liquefaction potential. He continues to advance the state of the practice by authoring technical papers and focusing on the evaluation and application of innovative engineering technologies. He is also involved with technical and policy committees evaluating CCR properties.
Career Summary of Victor Damasceno, Ph.D., P.E.
- Specialties: Geotechnical infrastructure and foundation engineering, Waste containment facility permitting and design, Brownfields redevelopment, Dredge material management, Dams and subsurface hydraulic barriers
- Practice Areas: Civil Infrastructure, Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Waste Management
- Disciplines: Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering
- Education: Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 2007; M.S., Civil Engineering, Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Minas Gerais, Brasil, 2003; B.S., Civil Engineering, Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Minas Gerais, Brasil, 2001
- Registration: Professional Engineer, Florida No. 72966; North Carolina No. 042284